08-07-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Pumxee
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
TL;DR No one knows, you have to make your own risk decisions.

You're almost never going to get a straight answer to that question. Customers simply don't know and BMW will never say "no problem, go ahead". BMW may at some point clarify that as warranty voiding, but that would a) violate consumer laws in some countries like US, and b) at this technology point lose customers, like me (as ability to code out several frustrating stupidities is the only reason I am quite happy with my G05 X5, for example).

Coding in this context is changing options that are already programmed, not changing the program, but sometimes the parameters can have a short or long term impact on reliability. You have to carefully and attentively reason out each case yourself and make a risk decision yourself.

For example, when examining how ASS works stock in detail, coding to turn on ASS memory can't possibly be reliability risky and is likely a reliability improvement due to reduced starter and battery wear, but it might violate artificial fuel economy testing setup assumptions.

On the other hand, default driving mode is a little trickier as setting Sport Plus as I do increases the risk of someone stupidly gunning the engine from deep freezing temps before lubrication has reached operating temps, and that's "bad".

And some coding can enable unreleased program features or have other negative net safety impact as you're in a 5000 lbs brick moving at 60mph within a couple of feet alongside other barely conscious 5000 lbs bricks — that can be a serious safety issue, hence @ifr's approach to highly experimental TLA coding publications. Maybe not warranty issue, but certainly safety and liability issue.

You have to decide for yourself, but do it with attention, not carelessly as is way too common.
This is a great response, thank you! I'm really only interested in doing a few things to my x6. One would be having it default to eco pro!
Appreciate 0