nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrg3170 View Post
Just catching up on this thread, great info in here. After reading everything a few questions:

1) I want to say I read somewhere once that it's best to leave EVs/PHEVs plugged in anytime the temp drops below freezing. But I haven't seen anything definitive... thoughts?

2) Inconclusive on whether the 45e has a heating element for the battery? Is there a way in iDrive to see kwh usage by type (e.g. driving, HVAC, battery conditioning)?

3) I have a BEV (Chevy Bolt) that I "trick" into pre-conditioning the battery in the winter by always leaving it on departure mode, which works a bit differently than the 45e in that I can set it to achieve 100% SOC by a precise time. The 45e only lets me specify a time range and then a pre-conditioning departure time. Is the computer smart enough to incorporate outside temp into its calculation of when to charge within the specified window?

Or, is there a way that I can specify a precise "stop charging by X time"?
1) plugging in relative to freezing temps is only a consideration if the HV battery is empty or nearly empty. letting it cold soak when that low could lead to damage, so it's best to keep it charged. if it's fully charged and the temps dip below freezing, one doesn't have to plug it in just because of the low temps, but an advantage to doing so is allowing it to replenish its capacity while preconditioning the cabin, so the full battery you have will be utilized towards electric range and not power-wasted on getting a cold cabin heated up to your desired comfort level.

2a) no external heating element for 45e HV battery.
2b) in iDrive, you'll see some efficiency numbers but no individual breakdown of how much individual components consumed

3) you can't precondition the HV battery. there isn't a setting to guarantee a full charge by a certain time, and it's not programmed to charge relative to outside temps. you can either set it to charge immediately or within low rate times (ToU) but know that if it calculates it won't fully charge within that time period, it will charge outside of the ToU window when the rates are higher
Appreciate 0