View Single Post
      11-11-2015, 09:26 AM   #15
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis449 View Post
I hear this loud and clear. I use WMC for TV (HDHR Prime) and there's absolutely nothing else out there right now that does what WMC does. I love not having to pay cable box fees for the 5 places I want TV in my apartment.
Yep, I'm also running HDHR Prime, HTPC + 2 360 extenders. People that see it or hear about it in detail are amazed at how slick of a setup WMC can be as a cable box...my 360's are setup to boot to WMC, so it's just like having a cable box, without the extreme cost and lack of functionality of your typical cable box.

I find my extenders work like crap wirelessly, but since I have the whole house hard wired that's a non-issue. I'll have to experiment with an Ethernet over power adapter when I put an extender to the Gazebo I built on our patio recently, as there is no reasonable way to run Ethernet out there (doing an outdoor living room setup).

Plex Home Theater also links into WMC (but not on extenders) and is super slick. I also use the Arcsoft Total Media Theater 6 for Blu-ray playback through WMC.

There are some folks that have installed WMC on Windows 10, but it doesn't have any DRM functionality yet, so worthless to me at this point. I tried installing it but only had a few minutes to play with it and I wasn't able to get it to install yet.

Windows 10 does fix the issue of recognizing a SSD RAID array that 8.1 has (but 8 didn't have). 8.1 would recognize my 4 SSD RAID 0 array has a hard drive based array when it was installed and I had to use some command prompt commands to get it to recognize it correctly (which is a big issue, as it won't do TRIM if recognized as a hard drive). Windows 10 recognized it correctly without issue. I found Win 10 to handle driver install a bit better too.

I'd like to experiment with getting coding software installed on 10 - if I can get it working on my main rig I may upgrade the coding laptop to 10. 64 bit 7 and 8.1 didn't like it...
Appreciate 0