pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
That's interesting. I've lately been using the EZ-RJ45 connectors in wiring some of the cabling in my house. Haven't had an issue. But even though these connectors are supposed to make cable termination easier, you do still have to practice care when using them. But I can only say this anecdotally because I don't have a Fluke cable certifier to verify the cabling I've terminated meet IEEE spec. I can only go by looking at the port statistics on my networking equipment to see if there are any errors such as CRC errors, frame retransmits, runts, giants, etc.
I've always used the modular jacks where you press the wires into the individual slots, with 4 slots on each side. Keep the untwisted length to the absolute minimum you can get by with. I've never had a single problem, though I can't claim that I've done extensive analysis of dropped frames and the like. I have done thorough verification using iperf, however, and I've not found a circuit where I can't get ~935Mb/s which is right at the theoretical wire speed, minus TCP overhead.