Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
I have a better HK system in my X3 (600W) and it's mediocre at best. I ordered the B&W because that one truly sounds phenomenal
More watts isn't "better". I have the HK system in my 3 series and it is noticeably worse compared to both the F15 and G05 X5 HK systems. The B&W system in the G05 is definitely much better, but the HK system is the best bang for your buck, IMO. For only $875 you get a much better audio system. There's no aftermarket upgrade you could do for less than $1000 that could even approach the upgrade the HK system is.

I assume the X3 system is more comparable to the 3 series system. I want to say even my old E60 HiFi sound system was better than my F30 HK system. So you can't assume one HK system is better than another. As you move up the range, the audio systems get much better. A lot of this can probably be attributed to better sound isolation and materials in the cabin.

Among audiophiles, using watts to judge how good an audio system is like using megapixels to judge how good a camera is. It is only one factor and a terrible system can easily be rated at very high wattages. I suspect the lower wattage is due to the use of more class D amplifiers which are more efficient and use less power.
Appreciate 1
volodp196.50