pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
There's no magic in Toyota's reliability. They have been using largely the same drivetrains for decades. The recently retired MZ engine dates back to the early 90's and the current GR engine used in most Toyotas and Lexus vehicles dates back to 2002. If BMW kept offering vehicles with the same engines they did 15-20 years ago they would be out of business today as buyers of this class expect the latest and greatest in powerplants.
The Toyota/Lexus engines also typically have a much lower specific output than BMW engines, and are mostly NA. Increases in specific output bring added complexity - like forced induction - and complexity means more things that can malfunction and wear out.

I have a 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine on my log splitter that's over 20 years old and has many thousands of hours on it. It's so simple that there's not much that can go wrong. But if you tried to scale it up and power a car with it, it'd be the biggest, heaviest, smokiest POS car engine in the last 75 years. My point is, durability comes at a cost. That cost is, the fun you can have driving it.