View Single Post
      02-11-2018, 01:53 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I used to drive a 964 and can give you some info. It's virtually a hand built car the front fenders are formed by hand on rollers (kind of kills me when I see what RWB and Singer do to 964's), the steering is one of the best if I recall correctly it's not power assisted. The dash and carpet and seat material are 'old school' quality. The distance from windshield to steering wheel to your face is close and it's so unique. The car is a great commuter car, it's narrow and the 246hp allow you to dart through traffic.
There is an upgrade on the twin distributors a rubber belt deteriorates from ozone so that upgrade is vital, valves get adjusted manually I believe they are not hydraulic. It's a swing arm rear suspension and when the rear end lets loose it's heart pounding. It goes through rear tires like every six-thousand miles !! The car has an engine fan that runs when the car is turned off and the battery is in the front and if the car does a lot of sitting then a battery tender is needed. It takes nearly 11 quarts of oil.
A friend had an RS that was in an accident, rear end impact - listen ! there is no one in the Americas that knows how to repair structural body damage on a 911, the car has to go back to Germany - and that's the thing, you can't buy one that's been crashed, I might be exaggerating, but not by much.
Anyway, those are the things I remember about the 964. I considered a new Cayman in 2014, I tell you honestly that when I tested the M235 it felt more special then the Cayman (not a Cayman S).

Correction: it does have power assisted steering.

Last edited by overcoil; 03-18-2018 at 04:30 PM..
Appreciate 0