04-09-2020, 11:06 AM   #48
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post

But the 10 year loans are very real. I've personally had my local dealership try to push BMW Select's Balloon financing on me where they said I could just refinance the balloon payment making for a 10 year loan. It felt like they were making commissions on that financing option.
No doubt. It's quite a never ending cycle once you get on that extra-long loan train. Having said that, I think it's smart to finance for whatever period get you the lowest interest. It's definitely possible to pay the loan off early. I don't think however, that a lot of people think much about what it takes to stay above water at the very least.

Personally, I usually go for 5 yr loans, but have no issue with going a little shorter or longer. I paid off the BMW in 3 yrs but had a 5 yr loan. The Jeep will hopefully be almost paid off by the end of 2021 and IIRC right now, we have like a 70 month loan on it. No worries though---it will be paid off WELL before then. And right now, we owe a good amount less than it's worth.
Appreciate 0