07-13-2020, 11:55 PM   #14
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea328xit View Post
provided some good advice.

We purchased back in 2011 when we were at the last local minimum.

I'd never buy a house in the bay area now. Prices are too high, and there is too much pressure for people to move elsewhere. Something's got to give.

If COVID-19 ends up being with us in the long run, a lot of people will move to less crowded (cheaper for now) areas and work remotely.
That's assuming one can make the shift to work remotely if they're not already doing so. And because everyone else is going to have the same idea, you're going to have competition in getting these coveted remote work jobs. I've been able to work from home since 2011. I'm glad I made the shift to my current employer last year or I'd be really screwed. While that job was work from home too, the company is undergoing some major management challenges which started well before this whole COVID thing. I've spoken to a former coworker there. He said the whole situation has gotten worse from when I left. Massive numbers of RIFs, shake ups with management, increased work load, and a forced 10% pay cut over 2 months. I told the ones that had the ability to start looking when I got the heck out of there. But they decided to stay. All the ones that could see the writing on the wall bailed. I'm now watching the musical chairs thing play out and the number of available chairs is quickly disappearing. And the field I'm in is IT sales.
Appreciate 0