View Single Post
      01-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #27
91Eunos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Cool cars

Got off to a much later start than anticipated, but worked out better for the post-project pics anyway! LOL

There are tons of videos and how-to walkthroughs on removing the trim so I’ll skip that part. The only thing I’ll add is the BMW has gone back to 10mm heads on the fender liner bolts, and you only need to remove the two that are right near the front /bottom of the wheel well.

You will need to remove (drill or pop out) one of the single use plastic rivets (arrow), but that’s just to allow you to pop out one tab (circled) on the second inner fender liner from the painted trim:

That allows you access to the back of the reflector…not critical during removal of the old one, but extremely helpful when putting in the new painted reflector. Regardless, go slow and easy with a heat gun and keep testing/pushing in on the reflector until it starts to give; then you can slide in a soft plastic tool to separate the tape holding it in…it’s very, very strong!

It’ll eventually come free, and the easiest way to remove it is to pivot it forward and down as it comes out. There’s a tab on the back that goes into a recess on that inner liner too, so it may help to pull that liner in/away from the reflector as you pivot.

Easy peasy (not!):

I test fit the painted one first…keep in mind the inside of the bumper cutout doesn’t look like it’s painted, so it’s critical to get all the old tape out for a snug fit. Any excess tape will not allow the new painted reflector to sit flush and expose this unpainted surface:

Once I knew everything was gtg, I pushed the new painted reflector in far enough for me to grab the red ‘tab’ on the plastic cover for the tape …and peeled it down from inside the wheel well as I also pushed up and out on the painted reflector.

This is where having access to the back of the reflector is important. I was able to push the reflector out against the bumper cover, while pushing the bumper cover in all the way around the edge of the reflector with my fingers to ensure a good solid seal on the tape against the inside of the bumper cover.

Turned out great!

I then re-riveted the inner liner to the bumper cover after reinserting that tab, and then just snapped everything back together. That really was easy-peasy!

Soooooo much better looking!

Again, two thumbs up to IND, great little fix to a serious design flaw (though technically required for most of the US). I’d prefer a European spec bumper, but this is a great quick and easy fix.

Last edited by 91Eunos; 01-09-2022 at 07:14 PM..
Appreciate 4
boneca2000.50
nZtiZia4655.00
Auricom4361.50
Wes335XI107.00