View Single Post
      04-29-2022, 09:19 AM   #48
DJXS1980
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X6M Competition (G05)

Laser Lights explained - X6M Competition (2021 G05 in UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowX6M View Post
There are a bunch of articles on the internet, but I couldn't find one with a complete and simple explanation. From what I understand, our headlights are actually LED, and only the high beam is laser? Also, I heard that the high beam only uses lasers above 40mph, otherwise it uses LEDs even for high beam.

Also, what about the selective beam technology, I understand it is not legal in the USA, but do we actually have this technology built in and its just deactivated?
Just reading this and i had the same questions before purchasing my car. The laser lights are only applicable on the Main Beam, Matrix LED for Dipped beam which works extremely well. Also, you need to have the headlights in Auto Main Beam Mode to get the Laser Lights to operate as they need to dip when detecting on coming traffic.

The best way to describe the difference is comparing them to the hotspot of a high quality flashlight. You can see twice the distance (1km i believe) and there is s distinct hotspot that is cast into the furthest point (usually against a tree or a road sign or something). they are superb, but they are not outstandingly better than the LED standard Headlights. They do look really cool when you opent he car up and the lights all come in in sequence with the DRL's and they have this nice cool blue surround.
Appreciate 0