Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowser51 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I have the choice to carry a Glock on-duty as well, but I would have to purchase that myself and take a Glock firearms course. We have the choice to carry a few other guns, but we can't carry anything we want. .
Are you limited in caliber when choosing a non issued gun?

We issue gen4 Glock 31s across the board for patrol (admin/detectives get the 32).

On duty, we can carry one of two approved backup weapons (must be 9mm/40/45/357).

Off duty, as long as the gun is from a known manufacturer and is currently in production, we're allowed to carry what we want. No weird stuff. If it's in 380/9/40/45/357, we give the officers ammo for it. Anything else, they have to buy commericially produced ammo, no handloading. Next year, I'm phasing out carrying ammo in anything other than 9mm and 357 for off duty guns. Budget needs to go elsewhere.
We are only allowed to carry a 9mm or .45 ACP for on-duty use, and the firearm must be capable of holding at least 15 rounds plus one chambered. Off-duty/back-up guns can be chambered the same as the above stated on-duty guns or in 357 magnum, .38 Special or .380. Some guys are now carrying the STI Staccato .45 since it was recently approved for on-duty carry. We are only allowed to use Federal and Winchester duty ammo; nothing else is authorized. That same ammo must/shall be loaded in our off-duty guns as well.

How long have you been 10-8? Are you still patrolling or have you migrated to a different role within the department? It almost sounds like you're the Rangemaster.
Appreciate 0