UKMS
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
UPDATE:

I had a phone conversation with BMW NA this morning regarding my BBB complaint. There was a lot of hemming and Hawing going on. Rather than admit any guilt she just told me that my vehicle was "capable" of receiving OTA updates. I love that word "Capable". I responded with "Capable" doesn't mean you are actually doing it. I should have said: My vehicle is capable of exceeding speeds of 160 MPH but it won't reach speeds above 130 MPH due to it being "Governed" to not go past 130 MPH. So making the claim of it being "Capable" does not mean you are actually doing the updates OTA.

Based on how the conversation was going I knew it would be futile to continue pushing her. I felt like I was on Star Trek dealing with the Borg! "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile!".

I did ask her to send me some documentation, or at least an email, regarding the fact that she said BMW would indeed be sending me an OTA update before the end of this year. Below is the email she sent me.

"Dear Mitchell:

Thank you for speaking with me today.

As discussed, BMW of North America has reviewed your inquiry regarding Remote Software Updates. Updates are made available once the quality of the upgrades can be ensured and timing may vary. The next update available for your vehicle is estimated to be released before the end of 2020.

If you have any further questions, please contact me directly. I can be reached Monday through Friday at 1-800-831-1117 ext. 5819 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Eastern Time or via e-mail at alison.gaughenbaugh@bmwna.com.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Alison"

Of course, we all know what BMW's response will be if I don't get an OTA update by the end of 2020. They will reference this email reiterating "The next update available for your vehicle is estimated to be released before the end of 2020. They will tell me that the statement was only meant as an "Estimated" time frame and not a guarantee of it happening.

I'm not expecting to get any OTA updates this year based on what we've been seeing in Europe with the OTA updates so far.
Out of interest, other than advertising and promotional material which is always heavy with disclaimers. Where have you got it documented that you WILL get OTA updates leading you to take issue with this.