Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
I have OEM mirrors. I believe its more car dependent combined with how you have your seat adjusted than any other factors. I have my mirrors adjusted per BMW's Performance Centers training on my 2011 X3 and do not have a blind spot. I believe this is how the video instructed you to adjust them before he changed to the new mirror. I verify this on a regular basis and know I can see part of the car via my rear view mirror at the same time I see part of it via my side view mirror and then my peripheral vision. This is on either side of the car. It took my wife and I a bit to get adjusted to this but will never go back.

If a motorcycle is coming up along side you doing 1.5+ times your speed, you still may not see them due to the frequency of you checking your mirrors.
It absolutely depends on the car/driver combination. For my body proportions, any car with a B-pillar (4 door) always has a blind spot, and in any SUV including X5 the blind spot is massive. In the E46 M3, no problem (since no B-pillar). It's not just the mirror adjustments, I've been trained on that to the n-th degree and had adjusted as a result.

For the record, I am 5'10" with proportions of longer body and shorter legs than what I've discovered to be an average human proportion.

I am absolutely investigating this. Thanks For the reminder, OP.