View Single Post
      05-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #13
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
No video but its like Fast400 has first mentioned...

1. Get in your drivers seat, adjust it to your liking, two hands on the wheel, arms slightly bent and then set the memory so you can always get to that position again
2. Place your face against the drivers window so you are looking at the drivers side view mirror. Basically your head is just kissing the glass.
3. Adjust the drivers side mirror horizontally so you can see down the drivers side of your car a little, not a lot.
4. Adjust the vertical position of the mirror to your liking but you will need to be able to pickup a low height sports car as well as a semi truck.
5. Now place your head directly above the center console and do the same for the passenger side mirror.
6. With those adjustments, get into the center lane of a three lane freeway and while sitting in the normal driving position, two hands on the wheel, arms slightly bent, simply turn your head to look out both mirrors and make any final, minor adjustments. Try not to lean left or right when looking out the mirrors.
7. You will want to see the same car in your rear view mirror that you do in your side view mirrors. You will not see 100% of the car in both mirrors at the same time.

Remember, anytime your drivers seat position is changed (any part of the seat), it will change what you see when you look out your mirrors. Here's the hard part, resisting spinning your head around to look out the windows for direct line of site viewing instead of trusting your mirrors. If you are driving at 60mph and you spin your head around to look sideways or slightly behind you and that takes say 2 seconds, you just drove 176 feet without looking in front of you

Anyway, try it, see how it goes. It took me around a week to get used to it. The mirror Fast400 installed will certainly help and maybe some would prefer the mirror but I never liked the visual distortion concave mirrors produced. You know those words in your passenger side view mirror that says objects are closer than they appear? I like seeing them in real size.

I was taught to use this method 10 years ago. It took a couple of days to get used to it because I was so used to being able to see down the side of my car the old way. This approach opens of the field of vision a lot. No more blind spots. I will never go back.
Appreciate 2