05-14-2020, 09:17 AM   #17
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
Gotta side with the aspherical/wide angle mirror fans...they are so much better in that they give a better view of whats along side and behind your car. Nothing beats a better viewing degree...and that's what the wide angle mirrors give.

I've been using them since my 1995 e34 525iT...and I've upgraded all of my BMWs to the aspherical/wide angle mirrors. The only issue in the beginning was getting used to a mirror with convex viewing on the driver's side. In the USA, we're used to a convex mirror on the passenger side...but due to the USA regulations, only a plain mirror (with a 1:1 viewing ratio) is used on the driver's side. After a few days...I habituated and I've never gone back.

You can see a comparison of the DS/reg mirror vs DS/wide angle mirror and the PS/reg convex mirror vs PS/wide angle mirror in the pics below when I installed them on my f06 six series. Take note of not only how many more parking space lines you can see...but also what's behind the car (like the house on the other side of the street etc on the DS wide angle mirror):
That's really a big difference, I like the wider view but I would rather have a 1:1 ratio for proper distance judging. I'm concerned about traffic in my proximity when I'm about to make a lane shift. Having both would be nice but would look strange. Actually, I thought by now manufactures would have replaced our mirrors with cameras and displays but haven't seen that yet.
Appreciate 0