03-03-2023, 06:36 PM   #20
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottom16 View Post
Thanks for the quick response and understood. With that said, what about M550i xDrive Mid/X-pipe? Would that pipe diameter be similar to the M50i’s?

I ask because I can say there is def demand from the G05 X5 M50i/xDrive 50i folks that are looking for some aftermarket exhaust stuff like this. 😊

Thanks again!
Dinan M550i mid is roughly the same diameter as stock M50i (76mm vs 75mm) but the pipe routing is different dimensional. M50i piping (assuming it’s the same as X5M) is wider offset. M550i mid is also a fair amount longer than the X5M mid. Short of it, is it would still require hacking it up and fabricating elements to get that one to work as well. Actually likely more involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn View Post
Any chance of offering this as just an x-pipe short section? No need for the entire mid-pipe.
Doubtful. Going off of memory as I don’t have the engineering images to reference remotely but I am nearly certain the reason we went the whole length is the vast majority of the stock mid is hydrformed pipe (ie: not round) which is required to get it to mate and create a seal without gaps. Pretty sure the first round section where cutting could occur was within a foot of the cats anyway so rather than make another cut for little reason (no real cost savings) we extended it all the way so it could just be unbolted and dropped on that end.
Appreciate 0