Drives: BMW G20 3 Series 320D XDRIVE M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3661 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifr View Post
This guide is specifically focused on VO Coding auto Lane Change Assistant, but will work for any VO Coding.

Note: the FA will not be saved to the car, which mitigates some risk of dealer warranty issues. The trade off is that the process will need to be repeated after each i-step upgrade that modifies HU_MGU, SAS and/or BDC.

Pre-reqs
- Windows PC - I use Windows 10 x64 VM on macOS VMware Fusion
- OBD-II to Ethernet cable
- E-Sys 3.27.1 or later - I use 3.36.2
- psdzdata - currently at 03/2021.57. You need a version that supports at least the same or newer than your car's i-step version.

Coding Steps for auto Lane Change Assistant (SWA)
  1. Connect OBD2 cable to car
  2. Start E-Sys
  3. Start Car Diagnostic Mode (3 quick presses of the ignition button). Diag mode is preferred, but you need to be aware of your battery health and level of charge. Ideally connect a battery charger or voltage regulator.
  4. Plug OBD2 cable into Ethernet Port and wait a few seconds
  5. Switch to Expert Mode-Coding in E-sys
  6. Click on the Connect Icon
  7. Target Selector: choose the i-step that most closely matches your car version e.g. S18A_21_03_557. Under Interface, select 'Connection by VIN' If your VIN is not listed you have an issue. Usually wait longer, or check the PC network card is set to use TCP/IP 4 DHCP (not static), or cable not working, etc. Do not select *_DIRECT
  8. Hit Connect button
  9. Under 'Vehicle Order' click on Read
  10. Under 'SVT Actual', click on Read (ECU)
    If it's the first time you have coded, right-click on ECU under the SVT tree and choose 'Read Coding Data'. Use Windows File Explorer to backup your CAF directory which by default is C:\Data\CAF
  11. Save your FA and SVT
  12. Under Editors and Viewers - select 'FA Editor' and load your saved FA
  13. Click on SALAPA-Element find and remove 8TR from the list. Click on Apply Changes
  14. Click on File-Save As Give it a name such as FA_032021557_no8TR
  15. Switch back to Expert Mode-Coding Load the FA you just created with no 8TR and do Read (ECU) again.
  16. Select the following 3 ECU's in the SVT pane. Note these may vary by model:
    1. BDC_BODY\CAFD_*7083*
    2. HU_MGU\CAFD_*3E52*
    3. SAS3\CAFD_*42C1*
  17. With the 3 x ECU selected, click on Code (not Code Default Values)
  18. Check the report is Green for all 3 ECU. Warnings are OK, but the text should be Green
  19. Done!! Go into i-drive Car-Settings-Driver Assistance-Steering Assistant and make sure 'Lane Change Assistant' is ticked

Enjoy!

If you find the lane changes are slower than you would like, almost hesitant, then there is a fix for that, but it requires FDL coding and is not covered here.
Hi

Thanks for this. When I get to the SALAPA-Element it's empty?
Yes you have to activate FA first. It is not included in the instruction (so perhaps OP can modify the instruction.)

Oh! And I didn't get any options after clicking on the drop-down to select I-step. So I continued without selecting an I-step. I was able to code a bunch of stuff without any issues. As for the DHCP, I am running a Windows VM on MacOS, so I set static IP on MacOS and I placed the VM in bridged mode. Hopefully this helps others.
Thanks. I activated the FA but the SALAPA-Element is still empty, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Attached Images

BMW 320D XDRIVE Mineral White, M-Sport Plus Pack, Tech Pack, Premium Pack, Visibility Pack, Comfort Pack, Live Cockpit Professional, Connected Package Professional, Driving Assistant Professional & Parking Assistant Plus
Appreciate 0