View Single Post
      05-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #133
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
We are moving into a new house and I am looking to put up 4-5 exterior cameras. What is the benefit of using an NVR from Dahua or Hikvision?

I currently use blue iris, with a poe switch, and have the cameras recording to a dedicated synology diskstation. In the new house I was thinking of doing the same. I could use the synology surveillance as well, but I like the blue iris interface.

Is there a benefit in getting an nvr over this setup?
The Hikvision NVR I'm using combines a 8 port PoE switch. You select the hard drive you want to put in it. I put in a 4TB WD Blue drive. The nice thing about going with this solution is it's all in inclusive. I can connect to the NVR and see both recorded and live view video from all the attached cameras. The same mobile client used to view the cameras will work with the NVR in pulling up live view and recorded video. It just simplifies managing the environment as I can also adjust the settings of the cameras from the NVR. The minus is it appears depending on which NVR you get, you might have problems using newer cameras from when the NVR was introduced. I tested using my current NVR with the newer 4MP Hikvision cameras and it didn't work. It seems my NVR will only support up to the 3MP cameras.
Appreciate 0