View Single Post
      11-26-2019, 04:20 PM   #11
LAR
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X5 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW235 View Post
I just did a detector install on a 2019 X5, and used the red/green for + and the black/brown for the -. It works, the only issue is the detector stays on for about 5 minutes after shutting the engine off and closing the door. It's the same whether the key fob is left in the car, the car is locked with the fob, the car is turned "off" via idrive or the Volume control. It seems to be the same amount of time that the ambient lighting stays on. The car settings are set to turn stuff off when the engine is off, and the door is opened.

Does anyone know where to find a hot wire that turns off immediately, and not on a delay? Any in the overhead console / switch panel for the roof and map lights?
The same is true when you direct wire to the fuse box to switched fuse socket. My radar detector AND my dash cam not only stay on for a few minutes after you have left and locked the car but here is something else you may not know: If you use the BMW Connected app to “ping” your vehicle (ie lock doors, flash lights, horn, remote 3D view, etc.) this powers up all the devices for a few minutes. Hence, if I use the Connected app to do one of these actions, my radar detector turns on and my dash cam front and rear also turn on and start recording for a few minutes or so. Anytime anything happens that causes anything in your car to activate, so will these devices.

If you want your radar detector to shut off you can pull the plug from the side of it and this will keep it from coming on remotely also.

I like the remote activation of my dash cam as I do not have it set for parking mode as I did not want the potential battery drain issues.
Appreciate 0