Timmer-Bimmer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Garage List
2020 BMW X5  [0.00]
Car alarm went off while driving

I was driving my 2020 X5 to a tennis match this morning. After turning at a light, an alarm went off. It was a high-pitched beep-beep that would continue about 20 seconds then pause for a few seconds, and then start up again. The mirror where the garage door openers are was blinking red, but there was nothing else on the car dash or vehicle status to indicate that anything was wrong. Other drivers could definitely hear the alarm. My light may have been flashing, but I could not tell from within the car. At a stoplight, I tried putting the car in park and turning it off. Then I started it up again. It started, no problem, but so did the alarm. I tried locking and unlocking the car. No help.

At this point, I hit the SOS button and called BMW. They routed me to a genius. He asked if I had modified the car at all or attached a device to the car. I said no. He recommended that I go straight to a dealer and get it checked out.

So I was headed to the dealer. I remember someone on this forum who could not get into their car finally tried locking the car with the key fob, so I tried that. I pulled the keys out of my pocket. Immediately the alarm stopped. Because I had tennis shorts on, I had my wallet, keys, and iPhone all in the same pocket. Evidently, this caused the car to think that it was being driven with no key in the car. Pulling the key out solved the problem.

I post this in case it could help someone else.
Appreciate 2
thereef5101163.00
MystroX56246.00