12-26-2017, 05:27 PM   #70
Angry Ketchup
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 650i (F12)

Thumbs up

Only.

When we lived in The States (I'm from PA), I would only splurge for First or Biz Class when flying internationally - when paying for it myself.
US domestic airlines are inherently trash and the top of the line product isn't worth the premium (*most of the time).
That 100year old United Airlines stewardess is counting on you to pull her to safety in the event of an incident; and she doesn't really care about your comfort, because she's been the 'union steward' and worked her way up to the F/J cabin team when Orville Wright was the captain. Consider the 'Singapore Girl' or an Emirates/Etihad/Qatar F/J-class stewardess, and we're talking apples and oranges. Competent, professional, satisfying and.. typically very sexy.

With that said, most of my travel (approx. 300k miles/year back then) was for work, so I was flying Biz Class anyway on the US domestic legs connecting to Biz (minimum) for international destinations). But again, that was a constantly constantly mobile: 2 "around the world trips" plus short trips to APAC, India, or 3 or 4 to Europe every month. That gets old after a while, but was worth it.

Now that we live in the UK (and I travel about half as much for work), we have more options with way better airlines, e.g. Emirates, Etihad, Singapore, etc. So, when we travel to Asia or the States for family/fun/etc., I have no problem spending the money for premium product. I want to enjoy my trips and time there, especially if it's all on my own $,£,€, or ¥. For work-related travel, globally, I just make it part of the Ts&Cs of engaging my services that the client will foot 'at least direct flights or minimum connections in Biz on X airline' and I already know which airlines I want to be on for collection of miles/status. If it's a short hop, say London to Amsterdam to meet up with my brothers for a night out, then I'll suffer BA in Biz, but those sorta flights are typically "free" paid for with a few Avios.

-=-

IMO, once you're flying First/Biz regularly and build up status to enjoy the 'better' lounges, reward perks, and chauffeur services, you can't go back. Plus, I justify it to myself as I am typically working during those lounge visits/comfortable flights and thus earning income at that time anyway. So, at the very least, it keeps me and my family happy and I work/earn better when we are all happy.

As far as hotels, go... When I travel for work, I just stipulate that it must be minimum 4-star and nearby the client's site. The clients typically have rate-deals with local big chains and will take care of me.
When I bring the family along for work, or we all travel purely for leisure, then we typically rent a house/flat or splurge for multi-bedroom suites at the better hotel chains.

I think in the end, it's just gotta work for the individual. Such arrangements as mentioned above allow me to work/earn better and keep everyone happy.

YMMV.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10161.00