05-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_K View Post
My steering wheel makes a squeaking/ grinding noise when it retracts after turning car off. It happens when the car/ weather is warm. I took it to the dealer, and they found PUMA Measure CA-65486141 which advised adjusting the steering column spindle. The noise went away for a few days after adjustment, but it is now back again.

I feel like steering wheel column needs to be lubricated. Can I use WD-40? If not, what kind of lubrication I should use?
You need to know the root cause of the noise you're hearing before you can decide on the correct lubricant. WD-40 is an all purpose light oil which may not do anything, long term, for your issue except stink up your car and drip all over the place, especially where you don't want it. If you don't know what is causing the noise, how will you know where to put any sort of lubrication or if lubricating the parts may only mask the root cause which will further deteriorate over time. There are no solutions without first finding root cause.

Go back to your dealer, talk with them about what is causing it and exactly what they did that made it go away short term. Maybe they can even show you what's causing it and once you see what's causing it, talk with them about if lubrication is the right thing to do. Sorry, I'm sure this is not the answer you were seeking

Maybe someone else here has already solved this issue and can tell you what they did.
Appreciate 0