View Single Post
      01-06-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

The rattle I have has been driving me nuts. It happens over most small bumps, so city driving, which I do mostly, sounds like I'm driving with a screen door open rattling in the wind.

I had an appointment yesterday with the dealer, but had to cancel. I also wanted to have a pretty good sense of what was wrong before bringing it in and sitting there all day only to have them tell me there is nothing wrong. I even recorded the sound over some bumps so I could play it back when I brought it in, but I'm sure'd they'd just look at me like my wife does when I complain about the rattle in my new car.

Anyway, I'm not 100% sure yet, but I think I've narrowed it down to the sunroof. It happens whether the sunroof is open or closed, but sounds slightly louder if it's opened.

It seems to me that the arms on the small windscreen that pops up when the sunroof is open might be the culprit. I can jiggle them to make them rattle pretty easily, whether they're down or up (closed or open), and the type of the sound is similar (if not exact) to what I'm hearing.

I've tried two or three things over the past week, including shimming the space where the arms rotate on a pin, since that seemed the be the most obvious place where they could rattle. That didn't help.

Well, I was just out taking another look and noticed that the passenger side was not lubed at all (as in nothing, not a drop of grease) under the little spring arm that raises the windscreen when the sunroof is open. This definitely made a rattling sound when I wiggled the arm. The driver's side is fully lubed, so clearly one of them was not done correctly. I just added some lube to passenger side to match the driver's side, including all under the spring arm. It seems to have dampened the rattled a bit (with me pushing on it to try to make it rattle). I haven't been able to take it for a test drive, so this might not be it in the end but I'm hopeful.

All this to say, I've tried a few things but the latest seems most promising since it was clear that they missed something in assembly--there was something different on both sides of the car--and it seems to have helped (at least when I try to recreate the rattle by hand), if not yet confirmed in a test drive.

If it works, I'll take some photos of the spot I'm talking about and share them.

Last edited by Tlon; 01-06-2019 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
MystroX56294.50