View Single Post
      07-31-2017, 09:09 PM   #9
kamber
E90
Rep
Drives: '08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I’m retired USN after 24 years. Military is a young person’s game. I would not want to start at 40. Plus, at your age, you will be working for a bunch of chuckleheads who know much less than you (in life experience and probably common sense) and you probably won’t enjoy the experience. Culturally speaking, if you are a traditionalist, expect to have your values and mores tested at almost every turn since the concept of social experimentation on the military is a well known hobby for politicians. It’s much easier when you’re young because you are a bit more malleable and impressionable. At 40, you’re more set in your ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
As much as I loved the Air Force life, I really don't think you are in the best position to start an Air Force career. If you really want to do it, maybe you should look at joining the Air Force reserve or the Air National Guard. You could then keep you current job and spice it up with military service.
OP, I highly suggest you heed the advice given by the above two gentlemen; I could not echo their sentiments more.

Said plainly, there is an extremely high likelyhood of you coming to regret your decision should you choose to enter enlisted military service at this point in your life.

For reference, I'm an active duty Army E-6 serving in a SOF capacity; as a JTAC I work with Air Force guys quite frequently (both pilots and enlisted personnel alike) and from my perspective, the drawbacks of being an E-3 at age 40+ would hold true regardless of which branch you decide to join. You also mentioned Air Traffic Control, etc.; know that while the maximum age to select Air Traffic Control as your job appears to be 39, you are ineligible to enter any of the Special Operations specific pipelines for becoming a CCT, TACP, etc. due to your age, so don't let your recruiter bait you with any allures of going to an Air Force Special Tactics unit or conducting Air Traffic Control in a Special Operations capacity. Not sure if that was something you were considering to begin with, but just in-case.

Lastly, thank you for your genuine interest in serving our nation. Goodluck to you in your future endeavors, sir!
Appreciate 3