11-25-2014, 10:55 AM   #1
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Hate the Passive Suspension

Morning Guys,

Venting some frustration, I'm absolutely hating the passive suspension on the M3 for daily driving purposes. Coming from an 06 STi, with the worst dampening/spring rates available, I'd rate this car the second worst daily driving suspension in my history of vehicles (z06 Corvette, Audi S4 e92 M3, C63 AMG, GTR). The car becomes very unsettled after more than a few road imperfections, it feels like the front and back slam into every bump in the road transferring the feedback into the cabin. I've adjusted tire PSI on the stock 19's, and now running the 18" winter setup, there has been no improvement. My main frustration is with the micro oscillations/vibrations produced by unsettled roads, makes for a nauseating experience. My 09 M3 had the perfect factory (passive) suspension out of any car I've had. Test driving an adaptive suspension demo unit, sales guy convinced me it was not necessary.

Taking the car back to BMW, their analysis said drive the car for 2000-3000 kms (mine has 700 kms on it now) to let the suspension break in and soften up. It would improve by 25% after the break in period. Would you agree this needs to happen?

Sean@PSI has been trying to come up with a solution to help me out, he recommends the KW V3 Coilover setup. Can any KW V3 owners chime in on their experience with a coil over setup to dial in exactly what your goals were? I've always done power mods to my vehicles, never touching suspension setups, this is new territory for me. I'm not looking for a Cadillac feel, just something that can make daily driving the best it can be.

I love this car to death, minus the oem passive suspension

Last edited by Kartelli; 11-25-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0