Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchy View Post
If you've spent anytime at the track, even with AWD and no launch control, it's easy to have times considerably slower than what you CAN get depending on how you launch. Not rocket science, mainly just left foot holding brake and right getting RPM up to the right spot, but if done wrong (or if just flooring from a stop) your time can easily be a half second slower at the 1/4 mile than if you get it right.

I would assume that with all the drivers aids off, with the power these have even when dry and in a straight line it's possible to have wheel slippage on these too? I know some of the guys with the GLC63's had some issue with this at the track.
Brake torque-ing just requires slamming the brakes, revving the engine to a particular RPM, and releasing the brake. You have one thing to keep an eye on, the perfect RPM to avoid bogging down, but that's about it. Even then, with an AWD car, that range is probably very large so you'd have a large margin of error.

I'd be impressed if you could break loose four summer performance tires with 1200mm of contact patch on a prepped drag strip. I'm sure it's possible, but it's probably very hard to break traction on this car.

But even if you are doing a non-antisocial launch at a stop light, you can still get very consistent times with these modern computers on wheels. The way BMW tunes their 8HP transmissions, you will get a fair amount of stall on the torque converter to give you a decent launch. You just have to be quick off the brake and on the gas.
Appreciate 1
scotchy210.00