View Single Post
      03-15-2020, 04:34 PM   #4
Shortyshorty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X640i 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I couldn't find a part number for the gloss black X6 grille anywhere, so I just told the dealer what I wanted and he found it on the system.

I simply bought the 'standard' X6 grille in black, and when I examined it up close, it became fairly obvious how to detach the surrounds from the slats. There are are a number of clips around the edge of the grille that you will see when you flip it over and look at the back of it, by just popping those with a small screwdriver, the surround comes right off the slats. The slats are all one solid unit, and the surround is one piece. So once separated you just end up with 2 pieces.

Removing the iconic grille is just like any other, with the addition of 2 electrical connectors for the illumination - you can only see those once you have pulled the grille off the car.

I separated the surround and the slats on both my black grille, and my iconic glow grille. Then I put the slats from the iconic into the black surrounds (just clips back in).

The lights and wiring connectors for the illumination are in the slats, so by putting the black surround on my iconic slats, the illumination works exactly as it is supposed to.

Honestly, once you have the grille in your hands, you will see exactly what I mean and its a very simple process.
Thanks so much for this - super helpful.

With the iconic grille in black, does it have the same overall effect? I couldnt work out if some of the impact from the illumination the from the silver grille occured because of the reflection from the silver colour or not?
Appreciate 0