View Single Post
      02-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #23
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_CS View Post
Putting him in a car with lower safety ratings with less technology than today that could potentially prevent a crash? Methinks-not. I'm sure he'll like it, but with my son I'd prefer him driving a newer smaller car, and getting him the proper training to avoid emergency/crash situations. Also I don't think the BMW here was at fault for causing the crash, it unfortunately sounds like maybe the new driver was showing off for friends. Really sad to see.
I wish OEMs would start implementing tech to assist parents. Even a lowly Toyota Corolla will do well over 100MPH. At those speeds I dont care what safety features you have, you're toast if the shit hits the fan and you're an inexperienced driver.

OEMs should allow for "new driver" mode where with a special key (like a valet key) or an app you limit HP, torque, acceleration, wheel spin, and top speed. Give parents a smartphone app that alerts them if their child driver goes outside bounds that are drawn on a map or drives the car between midnight and 6:00 AM. Stuff like that. Certainly seems well within reach to be able to tailor the performance of the car to the driver so they can have all the modern safety features of a 2020 model car with all the performance of a 1970s shitbox.
Appreciate 5
Salty Dog3572.50
Germanauto9665.50
cmyx6go15581.00
minn1913970.00
King Rudi13152.00