View Single Post
      12-26-2019, 08:09 AM   #49
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Technically there should not be any connectors behind the walls. Any connections should be in junction boxes and those boxes should be accessible and visible. That's true for electrical connections, not sure what the code says about cable/POTS/data wiring.

I took pictures of the garage walls, post-wiring and pre-drywall, so that I'd know where the wires ran.
I agree, there should not be any couplers inside of walls. If there are, the contractor got lazy and didn't run the proper length of cabling...probably ran out of cable and didn't want to go back and re run it.

But as far as I know, because Category cabling is low voltage, I do not think it's against code to have couplers in the wall nor does it require a junction box. But I think it varies with locality because I seem to recall either where my primary house is or my vacation home that the county required any runs of low voltage wiring in the home to also be permitted. But can't remember as this was years ago.
Appreciate 0