View Single Post
      11-25-2021, 10:53 AM   #34
dwjpaypal
Private
Rep
Drives: G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by IftiBashir View Post
Anyone using a steering wheel lock that doesn't end up causing marks or dips in the leather due to the weight etc?
Hi guys,

So I live in probably the highest rate of car theft area in the UK (East Essex). Its not that its not a nice area, quite the oppoosite, it's that there are a lot of nice cars in the area to steal!

I had a G05 for 2 years and didn't feel paranoid, but I've recently upgraded to a X6MC and all of a sudden I'm really really paranoid. I think it's because there are so few around and it attracts a lot of attention.

So, I've had fitted a Ghost immobiliser, a Cat 5 VTS tracker, and I use a full DiskLock every night. I use the medium size, and use the additional DiskLock steering wheel cover that you can buy, it's like a stretchy lycra you put over the wheel before the lock. I have zero marks on my wheel with this.

The States may be different, but in the UK no insurance company will accept Connected Drive as a tracker. It's simply not fast or accurate enough. My VTS tracker comes with a fob that is kept seperate to my car keys. If the car moves (with the key or being towed) without that fob I get a call within 20 seconds. If I confirm it's not me the Police are informed and told its an active theft, which I've been told by my next door neighbour (who's a Senior officer) is the most exciting type of call and they'll be on it immediately as there's a good chance of a capture.

Obviously on top of all this I also have GAP.

For me it's all about considering the inconvenience of these features VS it getting stolen and paying out for excess, finding another car, etc. If they take a look at my car with a retail of £120k but visual detterant of DiskLock and the probability it's got other security, vs grabbing a Range Rover down the road worth £80k but no additional security I would have thought they will go easier route, unless it's being stolen to order.

Ghost is great, but by the time they find out you've got it they're sat in your pride and joy trying to drive it off. The disklock deters the opportunist who's great on a gadget but doesn't walk around with an angle grinder...
Appreciate 0