View Single Post
      03-09-2023, 01:26 PM   #7
Sedoy
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10

Great info thanks, did a free quote for speeding 11-15 over the limit in MA (my location) and got $245, very reasonable considering insurance upcharges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
I live in MA and got a ticket in upstate NY in January. Clocked me at 81 in a 65. I was making a pass and didn't reduce my speed fast enough. Pretty sure I was closer to 90 when I saw him out of the corner of my eye and hit my brakes but after I pulled in front of the car I had just passed I was still over 80 and there were no other vehicles I could duck behind. He must have just set up his trap as I had Waze running and it was tipping to me to all the traps before...except this one. I was polite and he was all business. Instead of giving me a "speeding ticket," he gave me a "disobeyed traffic control device" which is a lesser moving violation I now understand...2 insurance points vs 4 (points vary in NY by the speed over the limit and ranges from 3-11!).

This was my first ticket since I was teenager so I decided to fight it. I drive a M240i that is almost always going faster than I think it is! For a small car, it is very well sorted and calm at speed. I went online and did some digging and found www.offtherecord.com. Within 24 hours I had a lawyer in NY working my case. It cost me $200 for the lawyer and the associated fees for the legal paperwork needed; online notary, RMV driving record. A month later the ticket was reduced to a non-moving violation. Still had to pay a fine of $175 for that, but 0 insurance points! Just wanted to share my experience in case others are on the fence about trying this service. Cost me ~$400 all said and done but saved me well over $1000 or more in surcharges and I didn't have to go to court. Your mileage may vary.
Appreciate 0