Crisp
Lieutenant Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: F95 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
In have had both in the G05 and G07. The HK system is good and should be the bare minimum of audio system at this price point. The HK has low end but lacks any refinement and clarity. This in turn can muddy up the soundstage.
The B&W is in a completely different league anyway you want to look at it. It is possibly THE best factory audio system you can get at any price point. I have owned B&O in Audi, etc.. B&W is better equipment and fine tuned that one step further for BMW.
The clarity and spatial separation is breathtaking. The lows are punchy and full yet still so clear. You can hear the mallet strike the bass drum where in the HK system you just get a thump. Surround sound with the B&W is probably the best you will ever hear in a car. You can also fine tune the B&W system to such spectacular levels providing you have the ear for this level of adjustment.
I am a professional and have a degree in acoustic engineering. The opportunity to even get a audio system this refined is so rare that you really have to get it at this price point of a vehicle. Its a opportunity to become a audiophile if you are not one already. The HK is great if you are price point shopping your family rig and on a tight budget. If this is a halo vehicle for you, then B&W should be the first option you check off. Hope this helps.

FYI:I use B&W speakers in our studio’s control rooms and have a ground up $150k media room in my home and use B&W speakers.

Agreed. I thought some of the best I heard was in my S550 (Burmester), but this blows it out of the water. I originally wasn't planning on getting it since I wasn't that wow'ed by the B&O in my F85, but I'm glad i went for it. Clarity and spatial separation is what I first noticed as well and what I enjoy the most. I don't care much about bass, not that the system can't handle it.