View Single Post
      02-03-2020, 10:56 AM   #46
karateboi87
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I actually owned a late model Q7 (and drove an R8 extensively, which is a different zip code entirely), and I'm guessing your perspective comes from someone who has not. Styling aside (which is in fact pretty plain-Jane to my eye in the Q7), few would argue the quality of Audi's interiors, perhaps yourself excepted. The fit and finish are on par with anything else in this price range in the luxury segment, backed up by any number of professional reviews. The quality of materials is equivalent to anything else put out by MB, BMW, RR or Porsche, depending on what you want to spend. To say that it isn't is, let's say, inaccurate.

That said, the design elements in the Q7 are the reason I'm driving a BMW. Touch screens for critical controls may be trendy, but are inefficient, to be kind, and arguably dangerous, to be accurate. My 2018 had standard buttons and not even touch capability, and the nav screen was a dash popup that looked like a Mazda add-on. It was missing many of the features of identical EU models, having nothing to do with US regulations - no cupholder covers, for example, or an actual automatic parking assist, or configurable presets. The tech was generations behind BMW, in spite of the cutesy Google Earth VC display on the instrument cluster. But the materials and workmanship for what was there were excellent. The engine and transmission were superb, although throttle lag was and still is a problem, and a dual-clutch isn't the best choice IMO in an SUV. But again, reviewed and reported more reliable than many German rivals, and I couldn't dispute that.

Another problem with Audi, not unlike Porsche, is that to get to the top tier of materials was pricey - way. My dash was plastic - soft plastic, and quality - but plastic. The door cards were plastic. A lot of the controls were plastic. Just using the configurator, that's what you got, even with the top level Prestige trim like mine. You could option an Audi with full leather with Audi Exclusive (the equivalent - sort of - for my full leather Merino in the G05, but more), but it would cost you around $20K extra. Yes, that's right. Even the cargo cover was extra in my car.

So yes, goodbye Audi and hello BMW - and not my first rodeo with BMW either having owned a previous 3 Series, 5 Series, an M5 and a diesel F15. But to argue Audi doesn't produce a quality car is pretty far off the mainstream.
I second this completely, having spent some time in both a previous gen Q5 and the current gen Q5. Their powertrains are definitely on par with MB/BMW (Keep in mind BMW is often a sleeper because of how BMW under rates their engines like our X5's B58). What gets me about them are the same thing, SO MUCH plastic. In fact, sometimes I think VW group uses a 3-tier strategy (low: VW, mid: Audi, high: Porsche) when it comes to quality vs the typical 2-tier (Toyota vs Lexus). Another point that supports my theory is pricing. Audi is almost ALWAYS cheaper in the segment. If you play with build configurator it's quite obvious. They always give you leather for free (where BMW/MB charges even in expensive cars like the X5), an identical Q5 will be thousands cheaper than a comparable X5. It's almost like Audi takes a Genesis approach and don't compete directly. It's also evident in their chassis. All the luxury German brands except Audi are basically RWD platforms. Yes I'm aware X1's and such are FWD but I'm talking models where BMW/MB are all RWD but Audi is FWD: 3/C vs A4, 5/E vs A6, etc.
Appreciate 0