02-17-2020, 01:24 PM   #22
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSCORP View Post
Would be possible to install the lights into the black grille?
I got brave and took the grilles apart last night. Here's what I learnt - the surround can separate from the slats (as with all my previous BMWs), but the lights are built into the slats.

It looks like it may even be possible to remove the light units from the slats but that would be very involving and looking at the black slats, it doesn't have the screw holes in it that the glow grille does which the light unit is screwed into.

So taking the slats and lights out of the surround = easy. But taking out the lights out from the slats = tricky/may not possible.

I did all this because I although I liked the slivers being chrome against the black grille, it bothered me that from an angle, you could only see the slivers on one side making it look unsymmetrical:

So I blacked out the slivers to make it look 'consistent', but the overall look felt too monochromatic:

So I decided the best middle ground was a black surround with the sliver slats. I already had silver slats in my glow grille, so I just inserted those into the black surround. The glow function now works, but I don't actually have it turned on:

I'm happy with this look - the silver slats give the grille some depth and as you know they are a brushed effect rather than shiny chrome. The black surround makes the overall look more aggressive. And its easy to revert both grilles back to stock at any time.
Appreciate 0