View Single Post
      03-02-2020, 12:51 PM   #80
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilejo View Post
I have an X6 40i with M Sport exhaust. It doesn't pop or bang, but is MUCH louder than my previous G30 540i, like MUCH louder. The car is brand new so I expect it will get louder too after a while like my G30 did.

So when you guys say the M Sport exhaust is quiet, are you referring to lack of pops/bangs compared to a X3M40i, or are you referring directly to the volume of sound under load?

I can't imagine what I'm hearing under load being described as 'quiet' under any circumstances, but I have never had a car with any kind of performance exhaust before either so I'm not sure what the expectations are.
We in the States get the single piped rear muffler unlike the dual piped muffler the European market gets. So yes, I would think it would sound quieter. I suspect there is a difference in muffler design. But not having an European version of the X5 40i M Sport side by side with a US version, I can't quantify the difference. I'm willing, though, to make the investment if the "M Performance Exhaust" is an option on a new order or retrofittable at the dealer level.