United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
Well first, I am not a expert on the DOT lighting regs. But are you saying that they have a restriction on the Lasers only being allowed over 37mph? I would find that hard to believe.
And while Audi & MB certainly have changed their DRL designs & have higher end versions. BMW is known for their classic design. What they did with the X5 is absurd. I would also say the X5 is not a bottom end model to begin with starting at $61k. Bottom line is when a new X5 is coming at you without the laser option it does not look like a BMW.
Yes and no, even in Europe they don't turn on below 37mph. The reason I can think of is due to there not being a need to see so far at super low speeds based on how much ground you're covering.

Audi essentially invented the modern DRL as we know it today (LED accent) so for the record yes it sucks but get lasers and it's a non-issue. The lights themselves are $5500 a piece which is why they aren't included on a base model which has full LED lights to the tune of $3600 a piece. ~$4k is a big difference (going off the price per light I found via RealOEM + BMW Parts Wholesale) plus it incentivizes people to adopt the better tech if you want to view it in another light
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0