View Single Post
      04-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #35
mrjoed2
Banned
Rep
Drives: '14 650 M Sport Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Yes and no, even in Europe they don't turn on below 37mph. The reason I can think of is due to there not being a need to see so far at super low speeds based on how much ground you're covering.

Audi essentially invented the modern DRL as we know it today (LED accent) so for the record yes it sucks but get lasers and it's a non-issue. The lights themselves are $5500 a piece which is why they aren't included on a base model which has full LED lights to the tune of $3600 a piece. ~$4k is a big difference (going off the price per light I found via RealOEM + BMW Parts Wholesale) plus it incentivizes people to adopt the better tech if you want to view it in another light
I just think the way the Laser option is setup it gives very little opportunity to use them. Maybe coding will be able to eliminate the speed requirement.

I have no problem with the option of the Laser tech. That's the only way advancements are made. If you want it, pay the extra. I just believe it is outrageous to neuter the DRL's on the standard LED to the point that someone can actually say "look that guy has the crappy lights he cheaped out" Again they look terrible - first time I saw them I though they must be malfunctioning.
Appreciate 0