Techie
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport

Are there 19" tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pictor View Post
There are two reasons off-roaders want 70 series tires or taller (example 85 profile tires!). The first is that 15" or 16" rims are cheap and easy to come by. The second is that the taller profile gives you room to air down the tires when you need extra floatation (traction). Which makes "real off-road" SUV's with 50's or less seem ridiculous since there is no room to air down. Low profile tires and RFT tires really have little or nothing to gain by airing down.
While this is true 60 and 70 profile tires are nowhere near extreme off-road profiles. I grew up in an area with half a year of snow cover and I lived several years in Africa where tarmac was not that common. In both places my BMWs came with 60 to 70 profile tires standard and I would not have wanted anything less. Above 70 I agree that we reach off-road/air down territory but the X5 20s are 45 profiles and in another postal code and can't be regarded tough SUV tires and they are to be considered rather fragile on bad roads.
I thought I read somewhere you can get 19" tires on the X5 but I don't see that option in the configurator. Are those available? Would they bring us out of the territory of low profile?
Appreciate 0