08-27-2020, 01:20 AM   #77
X5 45e
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch57 View Post
. I despise ASS and I don't believe it actually saves any fuel. Is this the future of motoring? Sad.
Probably. Just like the totally worthless electric grill shutters/louvers. All to eek out about 1/10th of a mile per gallon. Plus, if they fail in the closed position it throws code and the engine can overheat if the shutters/louvers can't open.
[/QUOTE]
You can hate it or not but it works in start stop trafic.

Fuel economy will improve 3-8%. Multiple articles and tests in that. It doesn't make any sense to let an engine run idle when it is at temperature when the car is at a stop.

The system has been improved over the last years. It doesn't wear your car faster the way it is designed. It is also more intuitive and less intrusive. It never bothered my inlay last cars once I got used to it.

I wouldnt call it dum and useless.

The idea behind the shutters is good. The engine should be at working temp faster when cutting cold airflow. If the shutters are prone to disfunction it is not good off course. I have had this I'm my last 4 BMW and never saw a problem. If you had a bad experience a can understand your opinion.
Appreciate 2