View Single Post
      08-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #95
Mile muncher
Private
Rep
Drives: Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
Actually, the fuel saving is not minuscule at all.
Edmunds did a test, and they got 2.9 to 10.9% fuel saving.
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...save-fuel.html

And in this test, ASS managed 10% fuel saving:
Good to know. I guess I was thinking more about the mild hybrid system than ASS and conflated the two in my head. Specifically, I was confused after seeing the EPA ratings for the X5. The 2021 X5 40i gets 21/25 while the 2020 gets 20/26. 23 combined mpg for 2021 vs 22 for 2020 so overall fewer emissions. But I am not sure why it would be necessary to make ASS mandatory if the EPA tests likely don’t disable that feature anyway. Perhaps the EU assesses manufacturers more favorably if ASS is mandatory.

Again, thinking about the mild hybrid system, my assumption was that a few grams saved of co2 would be more important than a 1 mpg (~ 5%/minuscule in my head, especially given the difficulty of actually achieving EPA combined fuel economy in the real world) gain for a manufacturer. Yes, 5% better fuel economy would logically lead to 5% fewer emissions but I just assumed that the 5% emissions component would be more important than the 5% MPG gain. Weirdly, the X7 40i gets 19/24 for 2021 vs 20/25 for 2020 so not sure how the mild hybrid helps there.
Appreciate 0