Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexxM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp33dster View Post
I work at a BMW dealership in the service department and I see a lot of people taking interest into this. I think this is awesome but I would like to caution owners to plan on doing this or already have done this.

With the newer vehicles and software, BMW can now flag your car without any notice. Sometimes, we do not even know! With the VIN flagged, your advisor cannot perform any service on the car until we contact the market team and the managers get involved. With the newer generation of vehicles, it can see any type of modifications, big or small that has been done. Most people say, "well, I can revert it back before bringing it into the dealership", it can still see a modification being done.

There are a lot of software updates that are needed on the vehicle when your bring the car for service. At times, with a check engine light or another component needing a part replacement, a software programming is needed. The software that we have at the dealership will catch these small modifications and it will sent it to BMW.

Again, not hating on this, but I would like to spread the word out. Last thing I want or your advisor wants is a phone call saying your VIN is flagged.
Good to know, sincere thanks, but it shouldn't ultimately matter for small stuff like this or *almost* any coding discussed around here, particularly in US where there are laws that specifically disallow a manufacturer to deny warranty due to modifications unless they can show that the modification itself is what caused the defect. I can't see ambient lighting causing an engine failure.

Instead of being constantly against it's customers, BMW should figure out how to monetize this level and depth of customization. Hire a team of smart interns to write usable software and give them commission. $1 per small customization if you retain it beyond 7 days. But they're too far up their own asses to do so.

In my case, most of my coding is to solve actual bugs/design defects which render the driving experience frustrating at best. So, frankly, BMW is going to have a rather severe and public fight on their hands if they try to take any dumb punitive actions in my case.
"Monetize this"? Bro I didn't pay $100k so that BMW can charge me more money to change basic Hex values.

I've paid my due for that feature already, if anything they should be paying me back for having to spend time coding simple colours in myself.

BMW Parts and Accessories

https://pumperformance.com
Appreciate 1
Maverik2594140.00