View Single Post
      09-02-2020, 03:11 PM   #110
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTENGR View Post
When you say manipulate the software, I would interpret that as changing the software code. That's not what we're doing. I don't even know if you can actually do that. The software is already coded to allow all these options - we're simply just unlocking them. If you take the 5 blink turn signal as an example - the software is already programmed to allow that. All that the end user is doing is switching a toggle from "inactive" to "active". You're not changing any code. If the EU can have 5 blinks, why can't the US?

Now if you can somehow get to the root code of iDrive and you're actually changing the code - like what people have been doing on Android phones for years - and re-root your iDrive with custom iStep version - that's a different issue altogether. I can understand BMW taking exception to that completely hypothetical scenario.

The fact of the matter is BMW for a long time has been accepting of the coding community in an unofficial sense/under the table. If they wanted to, they could lock down the ECUs like MB, Volvo, etc to make sure the DIY coder couldn't do anything. IMO BMW knows about the coding and lets the enthusiast have some fun - the ECUs and Modules that are critical are still clipped and locked so they reign you in a little bit.

Of course you change the coding. That's same as changing the FDL coding within the cafd.

It is changing or manipulate OEM software, vehicle flagged.
Appreciate 0