View Single Post
      09-14-2020, 02:06 PM   #8
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
The 45e can only do Level 1 and Level 2 charging.

Level 1 is using the cord that comes with the 45e and plugging into a regular 120v household outlet. It will take like 20 hours to charge.

Level 2 chargers will come with their own cord and they require either a 240v outlet or can be hard wired to the panel as 240v. Level 2 charge is about 7 hours. The ChargePoint mentioned above is a popular unit and is compatible with all EVs, PHEVs on the road.

Most owners will only ever charge at home or maybe at a hotel. Given how slowly it charges, even on Level 2, it doesn't make sense to recharge on the highway. I don't have my 45e yet, but I don't foresee needing an adapter to charge it. I will just charge in my garage with the cord included with a Level 2 charger.
You are correct, Level 1 with this size battery would take forever, and aside from more range, the charging rate is the biggest thing I wish BMW would improve, especially since several other manufacturers have 6.6kwh as the charge rate on their PHEVs.

The TeslaTap adapter really has come in handy, since many hotels have the Tesla Destination chargers, but not J-1772. Although eventually it may become useless, as rumor has it that Tesla's upgraded Destination chargers will have the same handshake/billing process as their SuperChargers, which will eliminate other makes/models from using them.
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18113.00