09-15-2020, 11:40 PM   #10
Finito84
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketGoBoom View Post
I am waiting for my 2021 x5 45e. It is due in about 2-3 weeks. Ordered from the factory because they didn't have one with my color and options anywhere near my home city.

I have owned a Tesla Model S in the past, so I am experienced with EV charging and the adapters. I had the Tesla wall connector unit in my previous house back when I owned a Model S, but we have since moved and I left it behind.

In our new house, I decided to install a new Gen 3 Tesla Wall Connector just today, to use with my BMW X5 45e. Why you might ask? Because I will probably have another Tesla in the future, likely a Model Y in about a year when another car we have completes it's lease.

Here are my reasons for installing the Tesla charging unit in my garage:

1) The Tesla gen 3 wall unit is only $500 which is cheaper than all of the others on the market.

2) It goes up to 240 volts - 48 amps. Even though the X5 45e cannot use that much, other cars can. I think the X5 45e will only use a maximum of 240 volts - 16 amps.

3) There is an adapter that lets any J-1772 EVs use the Tesla charging units. I planned to buy that adapter regardless so that I can use the Tesla charging units that are so common in luxury resort hotels around Florida.

4) I already have Tesla solar panels 16.4 kW and two Tesla Powerwall2 units (27 kWh of storage) in my garage. I read that Tesla is configuring all of these items to work together in their app, so it made sense to continue with the Tesla charging equipment to complete the system. Everything is Wifi enabled.

So you might ask, why didn't I just get a Tesla car like a Model X or a Model Y? Tesla has used up all of their $7,500 tax credits. BMW has not. The 2021 BMW X5 45e is a killer vehicle. I negotiated an 8% discount off of MSRP and I also get the $7,500 tax credit for this year. The Tesla Model X costs over $90,000+ to get one that has a decent amount of options. So the X5 is just way more cost affordable. With the amount that I drive in my commute, I will likely be in EV mode 95% of the time. Only long range trips will require any gas usage.

Edit: a 115 v - 10 amp outlet probably won't be enough for an overnight recharge of the X5 45e if it is empty.
That will only provide about 1 kWh per hour. The battery pack is 24 kWh in size, but I think only 20-21 kWh is usable for recharging purposes. I saw one article that said only 17 kWh is usable. I don't know what is accurate for sure. But regardless, it will likely take 17-20 hours to recharge from empty using a regular wall outlet. You need to try to get something installed that is at least 220-240 volts and 16 amps.
Amazing level of detail, but I am not an expert on anything electricity related.

I talked last week to my trusted electrician who has been fixing things here and there since we bought a house last year. He told me to get the Juice box 48 as I plan to get a 100% electric vehicle for my wife next year. He is doing something to the electric box, moving around the breaks, and pulling cable through the house to the garage. Sorry for the lack of details.

Just wanted to give my little contribution reminding members that you can get a minimum 30% back in your federal taxes of the EV home charging installation filling out form 8911.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8911.pdf

This is in addition to the $7,500 Federal credit (there might be State and local incentives) for the form 8936.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8936.pdf
Appreciate 1
cptcolo102.00