Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infosec View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
All X5/6 suspension options are active all the time.

Optioning 2VR 2-axle air suspension will replace Adaptive M Suspension (uses steel springs and shocks) that is included with M Sport Package with air suspension struts.

Mmm how to better explain this.

Software Program
In general all X5/6/7s have Driving Experience Control: Comfort, Sport, Sport + (not on 45e), Sport Individual, Adaptive, Eco-Pro, Eco-Pro Individual. Think of DEC as driving and ride programming presets which affect driving dynamics of your vehicle: engine, transmission, steering, suspension and IAS (if optioned). The presets are activated by pressing the switches alongside the transmission shifter.

Air suspension adds an additional controller, ride height, and works in conjunction with DEC or manual override. You can set the DEC and air suspension to automatically adjust or you can set the DEC to Comfort and manually set air Suspension to Sport level. This gets into another larger discussion into DEC Sport and Eco-Pro Individual. I'll have to locate the link where I get into more detail.

Air suspension, Adaptive M and Adaptive M Pro suspension has their own software tuning the above DEC programs.

Software to Hardware Controller
Selecting one of the DEC presets signal the Electronic Damper Controller that's connected to each shock (steel or air) on how to dampen the ride.

In the case for vehicles with air suspension, the DEC presets also signals the Electronic Ride Height Control (EHC) on what level to maintain the vehicle ride height.

Hardware
Then you have the suspension hardware:
1. Steel springs and struts for standard, Adaptive M, and Adaptive M Pro
2. Air springs and struts for Air suspension

Enclosed is a visual of the suspension options:
Thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes sense now Air Suspension replaces Adaptive M Suspension and how it works.

Going back to the ranking for use cases below. Does this ranking means that Adaptive M Suspension is #2 (take precedence over Air Suspension) when it comes to best handing, reduction to roll angle and sporty ride (different use cases)

Best handling in regards to significant reduction in roll angle:
1. Dynamic Handling Package (only available on M50i in USA) - includes E Active Roll Stabilization, M rear differential, Adaptive M Professional
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level

Firm, sporty ride
1. Dynamic Handling Package
2. Adaptive M Suspension
3. Air Suspension in Sport level
Suspension selection is purely subjective - select the one for your needs. Some owners who've opted for Air Suspension notice a "floaty" sensation when driving in Comfort and selecting Sport (lowering the suspension) doesn't reduce that sensation enough for them. Ideally you'll want to drive one with and without air suspension.

The outline is purely subjective based on my driving and I think I'm saying the same as the use case outlined above. Not particular clear on what your expectations are for the ride and handling of your X5.

If your priority is a sport ride and handling then stick with Adaptive M suspension. If you like comfortable ride with ride height versatility then go with air - air gives up a small amount of handling due to air springs and struts don't react as fast standard steel springs and struts.

Appreciate 1
GrussGott18164.00