View Single Post
      10-12-2020, 08:40 PM   #120
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

After about 40-miles of mostly small roads at speeds of 30-45 mph, after charging when I got home, the display says 43-miles of electric range. The vehicle needs some history of how you drive and where you drive to get an reasonable estimate. Keep in mind, that estimate is based on how you last drove the vehicle, so if that was all low speed back roads, then you expect that on a highway at 75-mph, guess what, it will be wrong! This is no different than your estimated range to empty with an ICE...I've seen mine say 530-miles after filling up on a long interstate drive with minimal stops, but have it change to 300-miles after driving stop and go in the city.

You will see the results change, but it will take a while for it to build up some history to get a better estimate. Run up to a red light and brake hard will see much lower range than if you see the red light ahead and you coast to the stop. Keeping a steady speed without lots of fluctuations will improve mileage whether on an ICE or EV. Consider it a game if you want to maximize it, otherwise, on a hybrid, just drive it and don't care! The EPA (in the USA) estimates are based on a specific pattern at specific speeds that try to emulate somebody's real life, but nobody has figured out whose, yet! IOW, you may or may not match the estimates, and many people don't.
Appreciate 0