View Single Post
      10-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #143
RocketGoBoom
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman View Post
Rocket - That is amazing. Share a pic of your BC, is your mpg around 125??? Who crazy is that!

I took mine to upstate NY today, 400 mile trip. I got 22mpg on ICE for my first tank to those that want to know. Primarily highway, at 80-90mph. I left the house with a full charge showing 40 miles of range. I came home, and the car showed I drove 45 miles on electric today. It appears, even if you fully drain the battery - there is always enough juice to use from a stop - is this what everyone else is seeing? I drove the entire day on hybrid btw.

Thoughts?

Aceman
I think the maximum it shows is 90.0 MPGe even if you are higher than that.

The bottom line is that it is fairly easy to stay in electric mode as much as you want if your driving is 30-35 miles per day. If you have a work recharging option then it could easily be double that.

I have 16 kW of solar panels on my roof and I usually work from home, so my X5 45e is here during the middle of the day. I go out to run errands, then come home. So my recharging is scheduled to occur between 10 am till 6 pm while the sun is up. So effectively, my driving is mostly on solar power.

During the day, my solar panels can easily exceed 8 to 15 kW depending on how sunny/cloudy it is and the time of day.
The maximum I have ever seen was 15.3 kW between Noon and 1 pm.
The BMW only pulls about 3.6 kW while recharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYIN' View Post
Best speed seems to be about 50-60 MPH for range as I'm averaging 2.1 miles per KWH. Doing 50mph you can get almost 4miles per KWH.
My long term average numbers are the same. 2.1 miles per kWh.
But when I really try I can do 4 miles per kWh if the road conditions are steady at 40-50 mph.

It is not very efficient in terms of miles per kWh. Teslas are way more efficient, approaching 4 miles per kWh. But even the BMW 45e cost per mile in electricity is about 50% cheaper than the cost per mile in gasoline, at our prices in Florida.

Last edited by RocketGoBoom; 10-24-2020 at 07:45 PM..
Appreciate 0