View Single Post
      09-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #37
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Like me, over 70% of EV users charge at home.
Yes.

Quote:
If I'm going on a long trip I'm simply taking a different vehicle...
And which vehicle might that be? You clearly refer to some type of ICE vehicle.

That's certainly a viable solution for right now, but that is still kicking the proverbial can down the road. The rationale for investing in hydrogen fuel cell technology today is to attempt to solve for the problem when ICE vehicles are no longer viable technology (they will eventually fall to regulatory constraints).

When it comes to batteries vs. fuels cells - it does not have to be an either/or proposition. While it is true that battery technology continues to advance, bringing charge times down and energy density up, it is not absolutely clear at this point that such progress will lead to BEV replacements for every last one of today's ICE applications.

For example, there is interest in FCEV solutions from the transportation industry, and such interest is likely to result in heavy investments over the course of the next decade. This could lead to proliferation of the technology, including more widespread infrastructure, and as costs come down, it may find its way into other sectors. It is too early to say for sure how the story unfolds, but I would suggest that there is a chance yet that some future BMWs or other consumer motor vehicles are powered by hydrogen.
Appreciate 0