Rep
Drives: E46M3, G05X5

Garage List
2019 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninefourteener View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMBX23 View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info. Any idea of where I can get the bypass plug?

Also, I might be asking too much but does anyone in the NY, CT area know of any reputable shops where I can have this done? Thanks
You don't need to "buy" anything. You can permanently open the flaps on the exhaust so it operates "full open" all the time.

Super-easy mod..... and I barely notice the noise difference inside the cabin. Outside however, it is noticeably better and healthier.

1) Remove the panels under the exhaust tips (8mm bolts, about 6 each side if I recall)

2) loosen the 3 bolts (10mm if I recall, maybe 12) on the electronic flap actuator (no need to remove them)

3) pull the pin out that connects the electronic module to the flapper valve itself (easy to understand when you are looking at it). Save the pins in case you ever want to re-install them.

4) Familiarize yourself with which position is "open" and "closed". Lay under the car and feel the outboard exhaust pipe when someone starts it. If you feel air, its open.

5) Safety wire the valve open, by running the wire through the slot that had the pin in it. Make sure it is 100% tight, or it will rattle. The space is a little tight, but absolutely doable. Take your time, be patient, and make sure the safety wire is SUPER tight. (I had to re-do one side because it rattled a little)

6) re-tighten the electronic flapper modules. Leave them plugged in.... it doesn't hurt a thing, and won't throw any codes that way.

7) have someone start the car while you stand behind it, let it idle, rev it at different RPMs, etc..... check for rattles.

8) re-install both plastic covers under tailpipes.

Tools needed:
8mm nutdriver (or ratchet/socket)
10mm wrench (ratcheting wrench preferred but not necessary
Safety wire.
That's it.... literally.

It KILLS me when I see people spending big money on electronic devices to control the exhaust flappers, or having it coded, or whatever..... all of that risks check engine lights. There is ZERO chance of a CEL with my method, and it costs about 6 dollars for safety wire.
This is a great DIY write up of this particular method! But just for the record, none of the other methods of keeping the G05 exhaust flap(s) open throw any codes either. This includes a) this mechanical method as well as: b) opening the flap and then disconnecting the solenoid control wire, c) opening the flap and then pulling the appropriate fuse, d) using Bimmerlink or similar app to control the flap. Those flap solenoid controls don't appear to be monitored by the car telemetry.